Today would have been my dad's 81st birthday. We unexpectedly lost him on a Sunday morning in September 2007 and our lives have never quite been the same. However, he left a testimony which means everything to us because up until 3 weeks before his death, he didn't have one.
The following is a short story of his conversion that I originally published last year in our church newsletter.
EDITORS’ NOTE: In September of last year, I started working on the October issue. I had started writing the story that would appear on the front page of the newsletter. I never finished the story. In fact, there never was another newsletter until this issue you hold in your hand. I lost the heart of continuing and then it seemed my time was consumed with other things. So I am going to go ahead and print the part I had started - unedited. This would not have been my final draft; and I know I would have made changes to it - but would it be the same changes I would make today? Probably not. So remember while reading the following, the story may be a little disjointed but just think of the miracle that really happened.
79-Year-Old Man Finds God
Now doesn’t the title of this article sound like a tabloid thriller? Their leading stories are so fantastically outrageous that a person has to almost buy the paper to search it to see if there is one ounce of truth. If one looks really hard, there just might be a shred of truth. The sad thing is, is that Truth doesn’t make a profit - and they need those papers flying off the stands. I checked to see how much a person would have to pay to read this junk however interesting it might be! They averaged around $2.50.Now, I want to clarify two things about the difference between this newsletter and a tabloid - the first being about the truth. The tabloids throw in a few factual stories to make their publication a “legitimate” item while this newsletter is totally based on facts - well, most of the time. And, if not based on facts, it is usually clear to the reader the nature of the article. The second difference between the two papers is simple - one costs $2.50 - the other is free. If you want sensational news, pay the cashier; if you want good news, come to church and pick up a free newsletter.
So, back to the title. Yes, the title is a little misleading. God isn’t, has never, and never will be lost. It is the people that are lost and God shows them the way back to Him.
The above was as far as I had gotten when my dad passed away. Most everyone reading this probably knows the story of his conversion. But, in case there are some who don’t, let me relate to you a scaled down version....
Bill Cox was never a bad person - he was a good man - but he wasn’t saved. I can say that his personality could put some Christians to shame. He had gotten many calls through his life but just couldn’t seem to make the final step. In 2006 a Grenadian Holiness pastor and his wife came to hold a revival at the Ritchey church. Bro. and Sis. Smith fell in love with Bill as he did likewise with them. The revival closed without any experiences. Time went on.
In August of 2007, Bro. and Sis. Smith were back in the States and Bro. Smith felt sure he was supposed to come to Ritchey again - but not 100% sure. He came anyway. One evening during the revival Bro. Smith remarked that he was now totally 100% sure he was supposed to be there.
As it turns out, he was totally in the will of God and how scary it would have been if he hadn’t been obedient - for Bill Cox left this life about three weeks after the revival closed. But before he left, he had a testimony. The day before revival closed, he had gotten saved in his own home, with Bro. Smith and Bill’s own wife, kneeling beside him.
When your heart is ready, God will be there - wherever, whenever. He is everywhere - just waiting.
April 17, 2009
Dear Daddy,
Today is your birthday and I know ALL of your family are thinking of you. You are never far from our thoughts and we hold our good memories close to our hearts. But, I just want you to know, that even though we miss you so very much, we would never, ever call you back. Why would you want to come back? You are having the time of your life right now.
I guess there are a few people you looked up on that Sunday morning when you left. I am thinking that Gladys Ingram could hardly believe her eyes when you walked up to her and told her you had made it. And Deloss Goins... I cannot even imagine the expression that was on his face when he saw you! But, one of our dearest, that even you thought would go before you, entered the gates about a year after you did. That was our own dear Maisie Bass and we hated to let her go; but I'm sure even you gave a little shout when she walked through those gates. I could go on and on about all you guys up there, but down here we are still on a time schedule so I'll have to say "See you later and I love you."
Little Worm


1 comment:
Pam, I'm so sorry for your loss!!! But our loss is Heaven's gain, and we wouldn't call them back. So many have left us and gone on, I'm looking forward to the day when we can all be together again, shouting around the Throne!! Praising the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world, forever and ever. HE is worthy!!
Post a Comment