Wednesday, October 14, 2009

HORNETS' NEST and MY "OPPOSITES" DAY

After supervising my husband - don't tell him I said that - as he finished up the installation of the kitchen and dining room trim, I decided to make a quick trip to Joplin to get supplies for the next school project. After a quick trip to Hobby Lobby and spending.... less than $3.00 (you don't believe me already, I can tell) I realized I was a tiny bit hungry (I had done the no-breakfast routine). I decided to try out a new business one of my friends had recently opened. They cater to a quick snack and drink clientele. So thus began my opposite day....


ORDER TAKER: "How may I help you?" came the voice over the speaker.

UNSUSPECTING ME: "Do you have pizza-by-the-slice?" I ask.

ORDER TAKER: "Yes, we do. We have pepperoni, ham, cheese or sausage."

UNSUSPECTING ME: "I think I will have the sausage slice and a small coke," I said with finality.

ORDER TAKER: "Okay, that will be a small coke and cheese pizza."

UNSUSPECTING ME: "Ummm, I wanted the sausage - I think I said sausage," I said frowning mentally and thinking that I was pretty sure I had said sausage.

ORDER TAKER: "Okay, that will be a small coke and a slice of sausage pizza," he said. Then seconds later, "Now, was that sausage or cheese?"

UNSUSPECTING ME: "Sausage."

ORDER TAKER: "Okay, thank you, and please pull to the first window?"

I slowly and carefully pull up to the window and the poor guy apologizes telling me he couldn't hear very good. I am reassuring him that it was okay - I know how those speakers can spit out mush. And then I am not believing my ears....

ORDER TAKER: "Was that cheese or sausage pizza?"

UNSUSPECTING ME: "Sausage."

Finally, we got that cleared. He takes my money and I pull to the next window where I am quickly handed my drink followed by my hot slice of yummy pizza. While pulling out, I am stabbing my straw into my drink and retrieving my pizza in which I sink my teeth into for the first bite. It was very satisfying and yep..... it was cheese!

I can't wait to tell my friend.

A couple of errands later, I was heading out of Joplin when I did something really weird... I stopped at a green light. Did you hear that? I stopped at a green light! Pretty sure all that cheese with no sausage had something to do with it. And speaking of sausage... that one slice of sausage pizza, minus the sausage, and a drink didn't quite hit the spot so I stopped at McDonald's for a couple of cherry pies. My intention was to eat one pie and let the boys fight over the other pie as an after-school snack. Or share it... or whatever.

McDONALD'S ORDER TAKER: "Good afternoon, may I help you?"

UNSUSPECTING ME: "Yes, I would like two cherry pies."

McDONALD'S ORDER TAKER: "I'm sorry. All we have are apple and pumpkin."

UNSUSPECTING ME: Disappointment sets in. "Okay, I'll have apple."

I pull up, pay at one window and get my order at the next. Again, I pull out on the highway to head on home. The sack is open and yes, thank goodness, two green boxes that hold apple pies are inside that sack. I am almost drooling as I open one pie and tentatively take a bite just in case it's too hot. Odd, though. I thought McDonald's apple pies were a little better than this... must have changed their recipe - like mashed up the apples or pureed them or something. Two or three bites in.... I'm frowning... surely not... yep, it's pumpkin. That was when I was really glad I had sprung for the extra pie.


Now, on a totally different subject... thought I would post a picture of a hornets' nest in one of our trees in the back yard. This is the fourth one Dale has found here on our property, but it was the first one I had seen still hanging in the tree. It was still inhabited and I was very respectful when taking the picture. However, it is hard not to be respectful when it's hanging 15 to 20 feet off the ground. Dale even offered to set the ladder up for me to get a better picture of it. I declined - I'm scared of heights.

No comments: