Monday, October 19, 2009

PAUL REVERE POTATO HEAD

I am happy to report that Mr. Potato Head arrived safely at school today. He's gone, outta the house, on vacation, or whatever. Thank goodness. I am hoping this is the last project for awhile. I have other things I need to do than figure out how to dress up a potato as a person in history.

I am not going to say much about Paul Revere. I am not sure what is the whole truth about his life. He has been glamorized through my lifetime especially through Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's poem, "The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere." I'm pretty certain that I took that poem as the literal truth in history. Guess that's not exactly right and there seems to be more than one version about that historical night. I read recently that more than likely he wouldn't have been yelling out, "The British are coming, the British are coming!" because it was a secret mission and that would have been calling attention to himself. And then another comment was that if he did shout out words, it would have been "the Regulars are coming" because in all reality he himself was British at the time! Whatever the case may be, there is one thing that I do know for a fact and that is.... if he saw this potato that is being represented as himself, he would not recognize himself.

Anyway, glad that is done and now it's time to get cracking at the church newsletter.

2 comments:

Sandra Stanbery said...

Looks like you are pretty talented. I am sure the teachers in each of your boys' classes wait to see what will be coming back with the boys.

Pam said...

Actually, Sandra, I think the teachers can't wait to see a lot of the projects that come back! There have been some really neat results through the years.