More than a year passed since we had basically completed the kitchen/dining room remodel, and I still didn't have the splash guard for the cooktop. Sure, I could have gotten something... like the stainless steel guards that started somewhere around a thousand dollars or so. At first, I thought we would install the tin ceiling tiles on the wall, but after finding that there were none to be had locally, I bought the faux kind. Dale and I decided those might not work out so well with hot grease spatters, so I returned those and put my brain into high gear to figure out another solution.
I finally had a bright idea! I knew what I wanted but never could find anything that would work. Finally, a few weeks ago, I saw what I was looking for at Hobby Lobby; except the items were not on sale. Needless to say, I try not to pay full price at Hobby Lobby unless I absolutely have to. A couple of weeks later... ON SALE!!! I grabbed up a few of the metal picture signs and put my husband to work. Poor guy had to file off the hangers on the backs of all the pictures (all of them had 2 hangers each - ouch!) Before we began on the project, we experimented on a spare picture to see which finish we would use and then did a grease spatter test. It survived the test and we began the final process. We mounted all the metal pictures onto a piece of plywood (sort of), lacquered them, and now I FINALLY have a splash guard.
Okay, maybe this isn't what most people would want. But I like it and I can guarantee that there is not another one like it in the whole world! Plus, the cost.... under $50.00. Yay!!!!

2 comments:
that is so creative. seriously, what a cool idea. i am always reading on the diy/decorating blogs about hobby lobby. one of these days gonna have to check it out.
Thanks! I am always getting these things in my head that I can see but when I go looking for them, impossible to find. So sometimes I have to wait a long time and other times I come up with something different that I even like better!
Post a Comment